Mold and Inflammatory Marker Testing

Inflammatory Marker Testing

Few physicians believe that inflammatory marker testing is an important link for the diagnosis of mold exposures. When a patient has been exposed to fungal and yeast contaminates there is 99% likelihood that they will test positive for inflammatory markers. The obvious fact remains,  that there are so many different environmental insults to the human body that can cause positive results for inflammatory marker testing, these results should be considered as an unreliable or “false positive” in cases of mold exposure.

Though one may test positive for inflammatory markers it is impossible to determine with any amount of scientific certainty what species of fungus, yeast, compounds, or elements within any particular environment would have been responsible for a positive result. The American Centers for Environmental Science and Health find inflammatory marker testing to be in a category of “over testing” the patient without medical necessity, as it provides no clear path for medical treatment by the physician.

In essence, inflammatory marker testing is a downstream symptom, or result of a primary insult to the human body. The key to patient recovery is to treat the cause, not the symptom.